Friday, March 30, 2012

What ever happened to chivalry?

Yes, it once thrived, and yes it is now quite endangered.

But think about it. Seriously. Back in the time and place chivalry was called home, there also lived the beautiful, simpering maidens. These "maidens" had a perfect figure and perfect features. Their hair never fell out of place, and their makeup never smudged. They all followed the same philosophy. I have never bothered to take the time to become a beautiful, simpering maiden to find out exactly what this philosophy is, but I do know the basics of it. It is the "Oh no, I have carelessly dropped my handkerchief on the ground, and I am too perfect to have to bend down and pick it up myself" philosophy. This is given out to handsome, rich and influential males, and is usually accompanied by the overly flirtatious batting of eyelashes. Not that I have anything against flirting with handsome, rich and influential males. However, this is just pushing it.

Now, to conclude why chivalry is endangered. Imagine you are a male back in the habitat of chivalry (preferrably a handsome, rich and influential male!). You walk down a street at a market. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a small white square of cloth and lace float silently to the ground. You, out of chivalry of course, stride over to the handkerchief and the maiden who possesses it. Picking it up, you hand it to the damsel and kiss her hand, all the time watching her eyelashes fluttering in an eccentric fashion. You walk away only to be greeted by at least 10 similar floating handkerchiefs, all accompanied by coquettish eyelash fluttering. Now try and imagine doing this every day, at least 10 times a day.

I will assume that you are normal and you agree with me that you would be annoyed by such a pathetic routine. Girls love to be pampered and fawned over, that's true. However, I think the majority of the female population does not like to be turned lazy. Chivalry, in my opinion, is not endangered due to a lack of respect. It is due to a gain of respect. I feel that guys respect that girls are not meant to be simpering idiots. We are, in fact, quite intelligent and strong. Also, I believe the male population needed a break from all of this chivalry towards simpering maidens.

Besides, we can pick up our own handkerchiefs. :)

P/S: OMG, my first opinionated post!

No comments:

Post a Comment